[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphic card for MPlayer

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Sep 16 06:10:28 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> If you don't run windows, then don't buy windows hardware? Is it that
> hard?
You'd (obviously) be surprised.  Not like you can look around until you
find the box that says "Unix-compatible" on it.

> Do a simple google search or ask on irc before buying hardware
> to avoid wasting lots of money.

Info available on the web is often very unreliable, and that is even
more true when hardware is new, and there are only bits of info available.

There is lots of hardware I've found that was reported to be working,
but didn't for some reason or another.  That's part of the reason I have
a practically useless AiW card myself.  Gatos.sf.net says it works,
nothing about TV-in being incompatible with every v4l app, TV-out
support being discontinued (I still don't think that fact is mentioned
on the web-site).  All sorts of info that you wouldn't find without
weeks of searching for, across many different sites.  Even the sites
with this info are often designed very poorly.  Most people are taken-in
by the little penguin logos on the manufacturer's websites ;-).

> if you're buying the hardware and already using linux,
> you have no excuse for not checking before you buy... :)

There's a limit to how much checking can be done.  We really need a
_good_ hardware database that says, in-detail, what works, what doesn't,
how often people have problems with it, etc.