[MPlayer-users] is mencoder as good as nandub ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Sep 13 19:47:43 CEST 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 06:32:43PM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> Most of the best dvd rips out there are done with nandub and their
> quality is usually outstanding. With patience and good understanding of
> command-line options, is it possible for mencoder to give comparable
> results? Or is mencoder not quite yet there?

Every movie DVD I've ripped with mencoder has come out looking at
least as good, if not better, than the "release group" stuff done with
nandub. But you need to use the right options! The most important
stuff is making sure you do a good job cropping and scaling to
appropriate size. Read DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt for lots of
discussion about how to maximize quality, and also take a look at all
the libavcodec options that have been added since that file was
written.

Rich