[MPlayer-users] Re: encoding quality - bpp, resolution, quants and quality

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Sep 11 19:51:14 CEST 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, HR wrote:

>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=1 0.7%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=2 40.1%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=3 39.9%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=4 8.1%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=5 5.0%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=6 3.5%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=7 1.6%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=8 0.4%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=9 0.2%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=15 0.3%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=16 0.1%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=25 0.5%
>/usr/local/bin/countquant: q=31 0.2%

Smaller q is better image quality. Since almost all quantization parameters
are at 2 and 3, the quality should be very good.

>Does this mean I should decrease the resolution? If I understand other

I suspect it would not help. You could try encoding with lower resolution
and the same bitrate and see which one looks better, if you have time.
Otherwise, don't bother, it's probably good already.

>Are there any other settings I should consider? The result does look

trell and vpass for two/three pass encoding would be very good. Also -vf
hqdn3d, if it is TV source (probably not good if it's from DVD).