[MPlayer-users] Re: best graphical card for mplayer

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Wed Sep 10 17:13:30 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> Should be possible to make a dongle that will trick the card that it's
> plugged into a TV, for less than $5...

yes, until you go into X _without_ the correct TV-Out modeline, then
the tvout is switched off and cannot be reenabled. Oh, it can, but tv
is always out of sync. And btw - this is a workaround for ATI not giving
out specs, because the windows drivers can enable and disable tvout at
any time.
So i think ATI is no better than NVidia, at least regarding the point
"support of linux / free os". They give a shit about us non-m$-users,
nvidia at least gives drivers

;-)

> If they're playing games they should probably have a wintendo... I
> don't see any point in putting a fancy 3d accelorator into a unix
> system unless you're doing 3d modelling or something.

Exactly the things my former coworker was doing as a hobby. And he told
me, that all other opengl drivers are practically unusable for this
because they lack important features.
They are good enough for Quake and tuxracer, but not for 3d modelling.

> I dunno, but I think it does 3d. I'm quite happy with g400 and have no
> intention of buying an ATI card.

me too, but if i had to buy a card now, i probably would try a nvidia,
don't know.

> Providing a driver is NOT a beneficial act on nvidia's part. Rather,
> it reduces the demand for a free driver (because lots of fools will be
> happy with the buggy x86-only proprietary one), discouraging people
> from spending their time reverse engineering the hardware and writing
> a driver because there's already one that's "good enough".

well, that's an argument: If you don't give us specs, PLEASE also don't
give us a driver! ;-))

regards,

    Stefan
 Stefan Seyfried, seife at s3e.de, seife at gmx.li