[MPlayer-users] Mpeg2 encoding results

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Mon Sep 1 17:46:43 CEST 2003

Hi,

I made a couple of encoding with mpeg2.

The sources were 2  2-hours DVB captures: one very good and clean, the
other  very noisy.

I used  only the following parameters for both passes
        vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:vrc_maxrate=9000:vcodec=2500:vpass=[1|2]
and no filters at all.

Well, the quality was very good, but both movies showed the usual
problem that I find in every lavc encoding (mpeg1/2/4):
black areas show many visible greyish blocks, at least when read from a
DVD player.
Mplayer is so good at decoding that it  deceives the eyes, showing a
good picture (blocks show less) even when it's bad :)

I guess the bitrate should be high enough to give the movie enough
space,  but this problem
persists.

Is there anything that can be done to remove these blocks?

The speed was very high: roughly 30 fps for a 704x576 on my Athlon XP
1500- (impressive).

Thanks,

    Nico