[MPlayer-users] Exact resulting file format ???

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Thu Oct 30 15:03:45 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Attila Kinali wrote:

| It's a Linux bug. You have to change the read block size to 2358 (iirc)
| for raw read which you need for VCDs. Linux stores this but there is no
| way to reset it to 2048 for normal data cds.

Sounds unbelievable strange!  It is possible to switch from 2048 -> 2358 but
not to reverse this?

Is this related to SCSI drives only, or is this a general issue? My
workstation has both: An IDE DVD-R burner (so it has a IDE-SCSI emulation, and
a SCSI CD-Writer (a true SCSI device).
If only true SCSI devices are affected, does possibly a SCSI driver reload
help?

| > It would be fine to run some commands to force normal operation of the
| > drive manually when I get this problem. Something like an SCSI-Reset to
| > the drive?
|
| Not possible, as the problem is not in the firmware or cdrom settings itself
| but the settings stored by linux.
| My patch just resets the block size everytime a cdrom is opened.
| (unless it's already open)
| 			Attila Kinali

Oh! -- So what have you changed? Is it required to recompile the whole Linux?

Shouldn't it be possible to re-set the Blocksize to 2048 with a little C
program? It would also be an idea to fix this in mplayer/mencoder, so that
they switch everything back before exiting?

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |