[MPlayer-users] Decoding to standard output NOVIRUS

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Fri Oct 24 07:23:37 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 23:08, Corey Hickey wrote:
> Linus Wenell wrote:
> > I can't get it to work if I try to put yuvscaler and mpeg2enc instead of ffmpeg, mplayer just quits.
> > Any pipe/fifo experts that knows what's wrong with this;
> >
> > mkfifo -m 660 stream.yuv &
> > mplayer -benchmark -noframedrop -nosound -vo yuv4mpeg -osdlevel 0 dvd://1 &
>
> I don't know about the rest of this, but mplayer expects to receieve
> keyboard controls from stdin; thus, when you background the process, it
> can't read stdin and just hangs. If you redirect stdin, it works as you
> want it to:
>
> mplayer -benchmark -noframedrop -nosound -vo yuv4mpeg -osdlevel 0 \
> dvd://1 < /dev/null &

FYI

Related behavior is apparent when you have a mplayer call inside a while
read do done<filename bash loop. It sucks all the file and you don't
iterate after the first mplayer call.  kicked my butt until I asked for
help on a good shell-scripting list.  I was/am using -slave.  I don't
know if that makes a difference.

Bret