[MPlayer-users] Decoding to standard output NOVIRUS

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Oct 24 06:08:48 CEST 2003

Linus Wenell wrote:
> I can't get it to work if I try to put yuvscaler and mpeg2enc instead of ffmpeg, mplayer just quits.
> Any pipe/fifo experts that knows what's wrong with this;
>
> mkfifo -m 660 stream.yuv &
> mplayer -benchmark -noframedrop -nosound -vo yuv4mpeg -osdlevel 0 dvd://1 &

I don't know about the rest of this, but mplayer expects to receieve
keyboard controls from stdin; thus, when you background the process, it
can't read stdin and just hangs. If you redirect stdin, it works as you
want it to:

mplayer -benchmark -noframedrop -nosound -vo yuv4mpeg -osdlevel 0 \
dvd://1 < /dev/null &