[MPlayer-users] Playing Real Video?

MvH cola at looze.net
Thu Oct 23 15:37:47 CEST 2003

> Nah, I can't get it working, either.
> Two desires I've always had:  Wildcards in web addresses and in RTSP
> addresses, such as mplayer rtsp://livestreams.omroep.nl/live/* or wget
> www.downloads.com/*.tar.gz    <- Hehe.  Life would be fun then.

I think it is made hard intentionally; if mplayer users would be able to
do all that they can easily save the stuff in some other format. As I did
most of the time when I find a high quality real stream...just record it
and save it for the collection.

If they'd wanted us to be able to do that, they would simply provide
a link to an mpeg file on their ftp server.

A lot of other streams from omroep.nl ( I guess the more copyright
sensitive ones ) cannot be played by anything on linux at all because of
the way it's put on the website. that, while it's been served from a helix
server running linux (...)