[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 20 09:19:21 CEST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

>> I'm sure they didn't discuss frame rates when developing the standard,
>> simply because they had not much choice in that - it's simply the
>> frequency of the power supply. Creating a 60Hz frequency in a device
>I'm very skeptical of this claim. 60 Hz (power supply) and 59.94 Hz
>(NTSC refresh) are not the same. Maybe it has something to do with

According to
http://www.divx.com/support/guides/guide.php?gid=10
American TV used to go at exactly 60 Hz back when it was black&white. When
colors were added, also framerate was changed to slightly lower.

So maybe the electric supply frequency relevant at the age of
B&W TV.

>Besides, much smaller units of timing were needed anyway. The entire
>frame refresh rate isn't what's significant. Horizontal refresh is.

Yes, but it's possible to multiply the frequency with some nice
integer.