[MPlayer-users] Re: which deinterlace filter

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Oct 18 01:14:55 CEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:44:55AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >Well, not really, but the fact that 2:3 pulldown must be done to view a
> >24FPS film on a 60fPS/30FPS screen is much more annoying than the 4%
> >speed increase.
>
> I'm sure they didn't discuss frame rates when developing the standard,
> simply because they had not much choice in that - it's simply the
> frequency of the power supply. Creating a 60Hz frequency in a device
> operating with a 50Hz power source (or the other way round) would have
> been quite a challenge at that time... and certainly not affordable.

I'm very skeptical of this claim. 60 Hz (power supply) and 59.94 Hz
(NTSC refresh) are not the same. Maybe it has something to do with
advances in technology between the introduction of TV, and the
addition of color, but I'm still doubtful that there was ANY good
reason to mimic the frequency of the power supply for TV refresh rate.
Besides, much smaller units of timing were needed anyway. The entire
frame refresh rate isn't what's significant. Horizontal refresh is.

Rich