[MPlayer-users] DivX/XviD qpel decoding

Jakub Misak jmisak at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 14 20:00:10 CEST 2003

>> I noticed that MPlayer with libavcodec can't properly decode video encoded
>> with DivX 5.1 (possibly XviD, too) and Qpel. There are some slightly
>> distorted "waves" in some parts of the picture, which disappear with the
>> next keyframe. It's quite subtle and noticeable only in some particular
>> places, but the artifacts are not there with the DivX 5.0.5 decoder.
>maybe u could tell us exactly where these places are?

OK, I tried to explain it in the .txt file, but now I also uploaded a png
screenshot with the area marked in green coulour - it shows frame no. 239,
the highlighted area gets back to a smooth state (blink!) at frame no. 250,
which is a keyframe. With the DivX 5.0.5 decoder, the area is smooth, no such
artifact.

>> I'm using MPlayer 1.0-pre2 (couldn't try CVS as it doesn't compile on my
>> machine),
>bugreport?

Strangely enough, I couldn't compile the CVS snapshot yesterday, but today
(2003-10-14) I can. But no difference, the artifact is still there.

Anyway, my system:

Gentoo Linux 1.4
kernel 2.4.20-fnk
libc-2.3.2