[MPlayer-users] mencoder best web video codec

marco at metm.org marco at metm.org
Tue Oct 14 15:55:02 CEST 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:16:38AM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> > It seems on first glance that sox doesn't make mpeg1-layer1/2 audio
> > either.
> You'll want toolame, ffmpeg, or maybe even mp3encode.
>
> > Any idea on the portability status of avi containers?
> Let's just say you'll be better off in many ways, using an mpeg
> container, rather than avi.  Better support for MPEG1 video/audio.
> More tolerant to damage.  Better container overall.
>
> Once you've got video and audio, you could use a program like mplex to
> make them into an mpeg file.

Great thanks for the info.  I am thinking of offering two
possibilities for download:
 -- mpeg4s with links to xvid and ffmpeg codec download pages
 -- and mpeg1 with mpeg1-layer2 audio made with mplex.  (I guess I made
 an mpeg1 with mp3 audio which did not work.)

I am still curious about the H263 codec though, as it seems to be quite
widely implemented.  Gnome-meeting uses it I believe, and the quality to
size ratio of the compressions I made were quite impressive (not much
movement in the images).  Any way of wrapping that up in an mpeg
container to get audio, perhaps I should be asking on an mplex list
somewhere?

--
Marco