[MPlayer-users] mencoder best web video codec

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Oct 14 15:16:38 CEST 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:23:39 -0400
marco at metm.org wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:29:18AM -0700,
> rcooley wrote:
> I was a bit let down that I could not view
> these on non-linux computers.
All you need is to install an MPEG4 codec.  Divx.com is the most
common/popular, but xvid, and the ffmpeg direct-show filters would do
the job as well.

> I realize that there are many reasons
> for this, and would prefer be a part of the solution than borrow a
> proprietary system to make my compressions.
MPEG4 is patent-encumbered, but not propritary by any means.

> Is there a page somewhere with the compatibility status of the
> different codecs?
There probably is, but I don't know about it.  I personally don't think
it's really necessary, since mencoder doesn't support very many
formats.  It's easy to check 2 or 3 media players' specs to see if
they are supported, or require additional software.

> It seems on first glance that sox doesn't make mpeg1-layer1/2 audio
> either.
You'll want toolame, ffmpeg, or maybe even mp3encode.

> Any idea on the portability status of avi containers?
Let's just say you'll be better off in many ways, using an mpeg
container, rather than avi.  Better support for MPEG1 video/audio.
More tolerant to damage.  Better container overall.

Once you've got video and audio, you could use a program like mplex to
make them into an mpeg file.