[MPlayer-users] which deinterlace filter

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Fri Oct 10 11:52:32 CEST 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Corey Hickey wrote:

>Matthias Czapla wrote:
> > and I just want to know which one a
>> more experienced user would recommend. I dont want to try them all out

I haven't yet had time to try myself, but I did a Google search couple of
days ago and somebody suggested that
	-vf pp=lb
is best, better than pp=fd (which is equivalent to -lavcdeint AFAIK).

>The best solution is to determine if the video is hard-telecined, and,
>if so, remove it. I just wrote an explanation of this process here:
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-October/038363.html

Matthias is posting from .de, which means PAL. I'm not sure how often
telecine is used with PAL. At least I haven't noticed it in the few
TV films I have looked into. Most are progressive (ie. the top and bottom
fields are from the same time instance and don't need deinterlacing).
News and other things done specifically for TV are interlaced. And there
was a movie of which first hour was progressive and the rest interlaced!

A nice link I found
http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/interlace.htm