[MPlayer-users] which deinterlace filter

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Oct 9 23:28:25 CEST 2003

Matthias Czapla wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have little knowledge about all the technical details of video
> processing but I really dont like the picture in fast moving scenes which I
> think is caused by interlacing. There are several deinterlacing filters in
> mplayer/mencoder like -vop lavcdeint

Are you using mplayer 0.9x? If so, you should upgrade to 1.0pre2 or the
latest cvs.

 > and I just want to know which one a
> more experienced user would recommend. I dont want to try them all out
> looking at mencoder several hours for each one and besides I wouldnt know
> how to seek to the exact same frame in two different files to compare them.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> lal

The best solution is to determine if the video is hard-telecined, and,
if so, remove it. I just wrote an explanation of this process here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-October/038363.html

See if that applies to you.

Note: if your entire video is hard-telecined, then you can safely use
-vf ivtc=1 without worrying about pullup or softpulldown.

-Corey