[MPlayer-users] OT: S-video capture / v4l

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Oct 7 01:43:35 CEST 2003

Joseph N. Hall wrote:
> Can someone recommend a good S-video capture card for v4l?
Hauppauge cards seem to be the best supported by open source software,
partly because they are just about the least expensive.

I would strongly recomend a hardware MPEG2-encoder card ($150), but if
you prefer, you could buy an "Analog" card (your CPU does the encoding)
for $50.

> is GOOD.  Ideally I would also be capturing 2-4 (or more?)
> channels of mixed analog and PCM audio at the same time
> from other card(s), although 2 channels would be OK.

That's interesting.  I don't know of any cards that have built-in
support for 2+ channel audio, so you'll probably have to use a seperate
sound-card for that...  You should look around to see if you can find
software able to do that, before you buy anything.