[MPlayer-users] copy but increase the volume

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Nov 24 10:20:17 CET 2003

> i agree, but with a difference of 10db between to video, lower you can can
> increase the volume, but if it's greater you have to jump on the rempte
> control : and it does'nt made for that, do you ? ;-))

Ha ha, yes, I hate it when something comes up so loud it gives you a
fright ;-)

Well you could look into mencoder's plugins, I haven't used them myself but
there are plugins to amplify the volume (-vf volume?  Check the manpage.)  I
don't know if mencoder can encode AC3 though, so you might have to look for
another program to encode it after you've decoded it.  Presumably mencoder
can produce a 6-channel PCM file at the correct volume (disk space
permitting) but you might need another program to convert that PCM data back
into AC3.

An alternative might be to look at a file format that does this on the fly,
e.g. you can specify the amplification level in Ogg Vorbis files.  I don't
really know of any video format like this (maybe Matroska?) but I suspect
you're after a certain type of file (like an AVI or MPEG) so this wouldn't
help anyway.

Cheers,
Adam.