[MPlayer-users] whats lircc? lirc support problem

Oscar Sundbom oscar at moosecomrade.mine.nu
Sun Nov 16 22:32:48 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:20:21 +0100
Dano <rabinowich at zoznam.sk> wrote:

> Thanx for advice Oscar.
> I start lirc with a script placed in my /etc/rc3.d
> there are two lines that start lirc and the mouse daemon
> daemon lircd
> daemon lircmd
> --
> And lircd is a normal process which is running.
> I don't understand the thing with socket.
> Should i start it with no daemon?
> Maybe you are right, but please tell me more about that

I can now see a few reasons why it doesn't work:

One is that lircd places its socket at /dev/lircd and mplayer for some reason looks for it
somewhere else, which could be attributed to compiling it with --enable-linux-devfs (or something like it),
though I've no idea if that switch actually matters to the lirc code in mplayer.

Another reason can be found in the LIRC FAQ at http://www.lirc.org/faq.html.
<snip>
 Only root can run LIRC applications. When I run LIRC applications (e.g. irexec) I get this error message:

    irexec: could not connect to socket

You have to change the file permissions of /dev/lircd. Usually it should be safe to give everyone read and write permissions. I try to make the daemon as secure as possible. You can also create a special group for this purpose.

    chmod 666 /dev/lircd
</snip>

Since the rc-script starts lirc as root (I am guessing), this might the problem. Check the permissions of /dev/lircd.

Check these out first and see if you get closer to a solution.

Regards
Oscar