[MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Nov 16 01:09:08 CET 2003

Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Samstag, 15. November 2003 22:01 schrieb Corey Hickey:
>

>>...but beware, however, that the default hqdn3d values will get rid of
>>a lot of desireable detail if used on a clean source.
>

> Really? Do you have a test case?
> My tests did show, that denoise3d is really good in not getting rid of
> details. (http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/vf_raw_film_noise2_3/)

Maybe I'm just being picky, but I've found hqdn3d to smooth out textures
and create subtle banding effects. I just made some screenshots:

mplayer lotr_test.vob -vf crop=712:354:4:62,hqdn3d,scale=1376:576 \
-sws 2 -frames 48 -vo png -nosound

http://bugfood.casa-z.org/mpbug/hqdn3d/16h.png

..and the same as above but without hqdn3d

http://bugfood.casa-z.org/mpbug/hqdn3d/16o.png

It helps to view them in some kind of viewer where you can easily switch
back and forth. Nitpicks:

1. The collar of the guy on the left loses much of its contrast.
2. The hair over the middle of his forehead looks muddy.
3. If you look at the person in the background you can see some odd
lines have formed on her left arm and on her face.

If you want to see other shots in that sequence, there are 48 here:
http://bugfood.casa-z.org/mpbug/hqdn3d/

-Corey