[MPlayer-users] advice on mencoder options

anton anton_melser at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 15 08:45:47 CET 2003

I have been trying to get an "optimal" setting for most of my dvd
backups (not really interested in trying 5 different settings with every
encoded movie...), and have come up with the following (using mdk9.2
with plf 1.0pre2mdk.rpm):

mencoder -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128
-aid 128 -endpos ??? movie???

mencoder -oac copy -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=???:vhq:vpass=1:autoaspect -vf
crop=???:???:???:??? -endpos ??? movie???
mencoder -oac copy -o ???.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=???:vhq:vpass=2:autoaspect -vf crop=???:???:???:??
-endpos ??? movie???

The ???s get filled in with the appropriate entries...
I have read quite a few howtos and readmes and very often there are
extra bits and pieces. for example
http://digilander.libero.it/w1llcoyote/ has:

*mencoder -o /dev/null -oac copy -ovc lavc -vop
scale=640:360,crop=720:552:0:12 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=896:vhq:vqmin=2:vqmax=31:vpass=1 -sws 2
SKULLS21-1.vob*

Most howtos seem to scale, but the mplayer documentation says not to. I
am ok with only using mplayer (so autoaspect is ok) but if scaling is
going to give me better quality then I would rather do that than have
things "elegant".
After reading the man page it also seems that the default vqmin and
vqmax values are 2 and 31 so the above is completely pointless, is that
the case?

I realise that there are often options that are going to give results
for particular types of movies, eg vampire movies are usually at night
and that means you should use x, y and z. Is there anywhere where there
is a reasonably readable list of options that are advised for particular
types of movies eg, Werner Herzog movies (15 minute sunsets, etc),
vampire movies, war movies, etc. Preferably with explanations of why
i.e, x decreases the number of bits used when scenes don't change much
for more than 1 minute so good for Herzog or Tarkovsky, etc?
If not then I'm sure I speak for many wannabe newbies and say it would
be damned good!
Cheers
Anton
ps, So how are my options?...