[MPlayer-users] show interlaced/progressive info..

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Nov 13 20:08:28 CET 2003

Am Donnerstag, 13. November 2003 19:03 schrieb D Richard Felker III:

> Even if the guessing part were acceptable, the decoding part isn't.
> You can't go and decode a big block of video at startup just to print
> information. It's way too costly in startup time and messes up the
> flow of the program entirely (not to mention what happens if your
> input isn't seekable!).

It could behave just like -vf cropdetect.

Then my mencoder script could terminate the no-deinterlace-mencoder and
start mencoder with -vf pp=xy.

> > because mplayer/mencoder can sometimes better guess if a video
> > is interlaced than a human eye.
>
> It can? Would you care to show me how?

;-) /s/can/could/

> BTW, you should always assume TV captures are interlaced unless you're
> sure the original came from film or animation.

That's what I thought. But its not always true. Now I have a 2.3GByte 16:9
interlaced video which looks horrible. (mplayer [...]-vf pp=lb[...] helps
a bit...)