[MPlayer-users] Re: VOD and mplayer

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Nov 13 07:10:37 CET 2003

also sprach Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live.com> [2003.11.13.0227 +0100]:
> No, the problem is simply that the RTSP server responded with an error:
> "404 Not Found".
>
> In other words, there was no such movie on the server.  In other words,
> your "rtsp://" URL was incorrect.

I don't think so. The movie exists at the location, but mplayer
tries to issue the DESCRIBE command, which AFAIK is only used for
Live content. However, since this is VOD, SDP is not used and thus
there is no DESCRIBE response.

Note that the 404 is in response to the DESCRIBE, not in response to
the movie. I can view the stream just fine with QuickTime!

> (Note that QuickTime Player gives me the same error - 404 Not Found - when
> I try to play that URL.)

Weird. It works here. I shall investigate this further...

> No, you can't use *anything* to stream that content, because it
> doesn't exist :-)

Well, that would make perfect sense, wouldn't it?

> If you give MPlayer a correct "rtsp://" URL - for a stream that
> actually exists - it should work.

Thanks for the optimism. I am not giving up!

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"when in doubt, parenthesize. at the very least it will let some
 poor schmuck bounce on the % key in vi."
                                                         -- larry wall