[MPlayer-users] Assertion failed

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Nov 10 15:52:21 CET 2003

> >mencoder: ratecontrol.c:587: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion
> >`picture_number<rcc->num_entries' failed.
> if I remember correctly, usually an error like this happens when in the
> second pass you reach a frame after the last one encoded in the 1st pass
> (which very likely crashed).

Well there was no crash message, and nothing to indicate there were any
problems.  I have during my testing however, stopped the first pass very
early (after a few frames) and then accidentally started the second pass, and
that did actually work without problems (i.e. didn't crash and encoded the
frames.)

> The frame may be corrupt/incomplete; with mplayer try to seek in the
> original just before the last frame encoded (divx2pass.log will tell you the
> number) and checks if it crashes, please.

Well, the last frame number in divx2pass.log is exactly three frames less than
I gave mencoder with the -frames option, but all my logs are like that, even
the ones that work.  The input files do play properly - I haven't tried
seeking to that position specifically, but I have played over that point
before with no problems.  (I watch the input files with mplayer first, then
encode them with mencoder and so far they've all played without problems.)

Thanks,
Adam.