[MPlayer-users] Assertion failed

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Mon Nov 10 09:51:45 CET 2003

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>[ Sorry if you get this message twice, but it didn't seem to go through with
>the full assertion message as the subject.  Guess it doesn't like <> signs in
>there ;-) ]
>
>Hi,
>
>I keep getting this error during the second pass of a two-pass encode with
>mencoder, and I don't know what it means.  I'm trying to encode an MPEG2
>transport stream into a DivX AVI.
>
>mencoder: ratecontrol.c:587: ff_rate_estimate_qscale: Assertion
>`picture_number<rcc->num_entries' failed.

if I remember correctly, usually an error like this happens when in the
second pass you reach a frame after the last one
encoded in the 1st pass (which very likely crashed).
The frame may be corrupt/incomplete; with mplayer try to seek in the
original just before the last frame encoded
(divx2pass.log will tell you the number) and checks if it crashes, please.