[MPlayer-users] mga_vid VT switching hangs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 7 05:54:20 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:00:12PM -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:15:06PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:21:57AM -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just a quick and silly question:  does anyone know if there is a
> > > limitation in mga_vid's design, that causes a dead system when switching
> > > to a VT from X while mplayer is using it?  Of course, this is one of
> > > those things where the obvious solution is "Don't do that then", but I'm
> > > curious if I'm the only one that has that problem. :)
> > >
> > > I have a G400MAX running dualhead with Matrox HAL, kernel 2.4.22,
> >                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This is probably the problem.
>
> I understand the "red flag", but are people without the HAL able to
> switch to VT and back while using mga_vid?

I never seem to have had any problems when I was using G200. Now that
I have a G400, I don't even use accelerated X server, but for the few
times I want X I use my own hacked-up fbdev X server that doesn't
allocate new consoles, trash the keyboard repeat, or do other annoying
things as root.

Anyway, if you're having crashes and you're using binaryware, the
obvious fix is to get rid of the binaryware. It's definitely possible
to use dualhead X on G400 without HAL, although it might require
making the second head non-accelerated.

Rich