[MPlayer-users] Re: A N00b's Telnet Woes

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu May 29 15:22:23 CEST 2003

kilg0r3 wrote:
> hi, i am currently trying to start mplayer from a remote machine by using a telnet console. However, while mplayer works fine when started locally, it throughs the attached messages when I start it via telnet. As it seems it does not find the video card of the remote machine and then tries to use the terminal window for video output.
> I suspect that the solution is in the docs but I am not at all familiar with the terminology making it hard for me to find the right starting point. So, I would be very glad if someone could just point me in the right direction.
>
> I am using Windows XP and the mplayer-cvs-2003-03-24 version of mplayer

So, you're using the WinXP telnet server? Probably, the default
configuration doesn't allow remote sessions to interact with the
desktop, since that would be a serious security problem. I know that
when I've used the Cygwin sshd on a WinNT 4.0 machine, I had to change a
setting to allow me to run a GUI app from the ssh session. Specifically,
I had to enable the "may interact with desktop" option on the sshd
service in the services control panel dialog. Of course, I'm sure it's
entirely different in XP.

Jonathan Rogers