[MPlayer-users] audio video sync

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Mar 30 05:43:55 CEST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:33:26PM -0500, Yan Seiner wrote:
> (Note to moderator: this is a close-to-duplicate message of one sent
> earlier.  I tried to cancel that message, but the link mailman sent was
> broken.)
>
> I'm having a problem with audio sync when capturing video from composite
> sources.  It appears that the video runs considerably slower than the
> audio.  The audio sounds like it's normal speed; the video looks slow.
> After a minute or two of playback, the video is some 10 seconds or more
> behind the audio.
>
> I've tried various codecs, autosync, framedrop, bps, nopbs, interlacing,
> no interlacing, and no joy.  I've tried forcing fps to either PAL rates

Huh? autosync and framedrop are mplayer options and have nothing to do
with capturing with mencoder. Also bps/nobps and ni (non-INTERLEAVED,
not non-interlaced) are options for avi demuxing and have nothing to
do with your situation.

> (25) or NTSC rates (29.97) as appropriate.  No joy.  My CPU loads are
> pretty small - 30 - 50% during capture, less during playback.
>
> I'm stumped.  xawtv plays fine for both PAL and NTSC; no sound sync
> problems there.

Of course playing in realtime can't have sync problems since there's
nothing to sync!!! It's just showing what's currently in the buffer!

> Any ideas, help, etc. are greatly appreciated.
>
> I will be uploading the appropriate 5 MB clip to the ftp server along
> with all of the info soon.  The full clip (30MB) is (or will be shortly)
> at ftp://portia.cardinalengineering.com/outgoing/yan.tar.bz2

You MUST at least tell us what command line you are using; otherwise
we have no idea what's going wrong (or what you're doing wrong). My
guess is that it's the -oac pcm bug which was just fixed in cvs.

Rich