[MPlayer-users] [bug?] Libavcodec mpeg4 sync

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 28 17:30:26 CET 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:21:14PM +0800, Michael Collard wrote:
> Hiyas! After upgrading to RC5, ripping a DVD with mencoder in 2 pass
> mode with libavcodec, the audio needs a delay of approx 300ms. RC3 did
> not give me this problem as far as I am aware. Having to go back and
> realign the movie after is just annoying.
>
> Command lines:
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device=/dev/scd0 -o frameno.avi -ovc frameno -oac
> mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/scd0 -o Movie.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=767 -vop scale -zoom -xy 512
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't know about fixing your problem, but this whole setup is silly.
This is not what I would call "2pass" encoding, since you're only
doing one video pass.

Perhaps the desync is caused by the fact that you're missing -ofps
23.976 (needed for most NTSC dvds). Also it seems that the "pass 0"
for audio causes more trouble than it's worth, so try just encoding
with 1pass mode or proper 2pass (-lavcopts vpass=1 then vpass=2 with
no frameno mess).

Rich