[MPlayer-users] Requested feature

Alejandro Néstor Vargas anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar
Thu Mar 27 17:42:20 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III dijo:
> Arpi says this isn't possible, since you have to know the fps when you first start
> writing the output file, but the detection can't take
> place until several frames have passed.

It may be possible to change the ofps and re-initiate the encoding from the
beginning, almost if the change is detected in the first few frames...

> Is it really that hard to type -ofps 23.976? Ripping DVDs is
> complicated enough that it requires a lot of user intervention to get it right, so
> trying to automate this doesn't really make a lot of
> sense anyway until a lot more can be automated, which is still a long ways away.

This is true, but I really didn't know the problem of telecine encoding and I needed
to ask here to solve the problem. It may be interesting to add almost a very visible
warning to mencoder almost when it is in the first of 3 pass. It may be added to the
final report for the recomended bitrates. Something like "Telecine detected. You may
need to add -ofps in order to obtain the right final file size"

--
Alejandro Néstor Vargas
E-mail: anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar
Jabber: anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar