[MPlayer-users] Best way to dump pcm to a wav and ogg, ogm support

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Mar 20 20:33:02 CET 2003

Hi.

> People out there, what do you think about ogg and ogm?? is anyone
> using it??  is it worth it??

A lot of people are using it. I should know cause I'm the one
developping the ogmtools. At the moment it's cool because it's the only
widely spread format that can store Vorbis in a useful manner. But the
format itself has several drawbacks (none of which will affect you if
you only use its basics for storing a movie and audio in it... but it's
really not suited well for editing and other stuff).

As to 'why?': I would be the one who would write the muxer for Ogg (and
the audio encoding module for Vorbis), and I have neither the time nor
the motivation to do it. Third I think that - because of its drawbacks -
that investing the time required to implement those features would be
wasted. You can do much more with ogmmerge than you would ever be able
to do with native mencoder support for Ogg/Ogm/Vorbis.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)