[MPlayer-users] MPlayer doesn't skip frames

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Thu Mar 20 19:36:55 CET 2003

Based on using a Zaurus

On Thursday 20 March 2003 04:28, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've ported mplayer to an embeded ARM system using a framebuffer-device. It
> plays fine, but I have the problem that when playing AVI (XviD) files with
> both video and audio present the video get's delayed a lot. When the
> audio-part is then finished, the video will continue playing untill all
> frames are played.. Of course the result is that the video takes too long
> and is completely out of sync.

Zaurus: uses 206MHz Strongarm with fbdev

what device is it btw?

>  When we disable the sound (-nosound) the video plays fine.

Often the case:
Zaurus' sounddriver only likes 44100kHz audio. I don't know what yours is,
but on Z, usually adding -af resample=44100 will fix it.

> Of course our embeded CPU is very slow, so we can never play normal
> DivX-files. However we decreased the size to very small sizes (132x176) so
> that our ARM should be able to handle it.

The Z handles 320x240 just fine, with audio.

>  I also removed the normal MP3-decoder (which uses a FPU, which doesn't
> exist on ARM), and tried both the integer-only ffmp3 and compiled and
> linked libmad in. The latter seems to be the fastest of the two (the other
> produces hickups). We also tried normal PCM-audio, but to no avail.

libmad is likely what you want to use. Also, does the device have sdl
available? That often helps on Z.

> I tried options like -bps, -nobps, -autosync 30, -framedrop
> and -hardframedrop. The result stays the same: mplayer doesn't trough away
> enough video frames and also continues playback after the audio-part has
> finished.
>
> The latter I consider a bug, even if the first would be caused by the fact
> that it is our embeded CPU that is simply too slow, even
> with -hardframedrop.
>
> So my questions:
>
> - did anyone try mplayer on embeded system?

if a Zaurus counts, then yes

> - is there some -realyhardframedrop, or other option. :-)
> - did anyone else notice the 'bug' (unless someone can tell me why it isn't
> a bug).
>
> Again, it plays fine without the video (or just sound alone). Note also
> that if I take MPEG content the -framedrop option does work, and all stays
> perfectly in sync.

Be willing to bet that it is the audio rate.

James L