[MPlayer-users] Is MPlayer the right one? How to Install it without "root"

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Tue Mar 18 14:07:42 CET 2003

On 18 Mar 2003 at 10h34, Götz Waschk wrote:

Hi,

> Sorry that I have to correct you, but for my purposes MPlayer isn't
> always the best. If I want to play a medium resolution DivX avi on my
> Celeron 333 with XV and the NVIDIA drivers, I better use
> aviplay, as I get more frames. All the framedrop and hardframedrop and
> -ao null options I tried don't make mplayer display more than a slide
> show for movies that are still watchable with avifile.

I'm able to watch 720x480 divx on a G3 400, for which mplayer is far less
optimized (pure C code, Celeron have asm routines implemented), with 10%
framedrop. The only difference is I use xvidix with an ATI; if you have
one you may want to try it, it's much faster than XV (even with an old
Rage LT pro pci).

hth,
--
Colin