[MPlayer-users] ALSA (0.9.1) + mplayer (0.90rc4) + Audigy2 + channels & surround problem

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Mon Mar 17 16:18:50 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 15:57, Zdenek Pizl wrote:
> On Monday 17 of March 2003 15:50, gabor wrote:
> > > Doh!
> > >
> > >  Is anywhere explained the syntax of  "-ao alsa9:whatever" and what it
> > > do? I really can't find it and I like to know it.
> > they are config files in /usr/share/alsa/pcm.
> > so you can try to read them :(
>
> Gabor :-)
>
>  I know that they are configs from that directory. I am interesting in where
> is this mplayer syntax described and what happens then. Sorry for uncleary
> question.

basically:

-ao alsa9:front and -ao alsa9:rear opens alsa for 2channel sound. that
means if you have a stereo movie it will play it normally, if a mono
movie it will play it normally, and if a 6channel movie, it will downmix
it into 2 channels

-ao alsa9:surround40 opens alsa for 4channel sound. that means if you
have a mono or stereo stream, it won't play anything. if you have a
6channel movie it will downmix to 4channels.

-ao alsa9:surround51 opens alsa for 6channel sound. that means if you
have a mono or stereo movie, it won't play anything. if you have a
6channel movie, it will play it.

as you see, mplayer is able to reduce the number of the sound streams,
but isn't able to increase it.

gabor