[MPlayer-users] using a remote with mplayer

Magnus Damm damm at opensource.se
Thu Mar 13 23:00:45 CET 2003

> Anyone have any solutions for using a remote with mplayer other than LIRC?

I use a ATI Remote Wonder, which is a RF remote connected via USB.
The remote looks kind of cheap (and was cheap too), but works ok.

There is a driver for this remote + receiver called ati_remote.o
that can be found on the gatos page at sourceforge.
The driver hooks in directly into the input layer in the kernel,
so you can control the mouse and generate some keys with the remote.

Here's a snippet from /proc/bus/usb/devices

P:  Vendor=0bc7 ProdID=0004 Rev= 1.00
S:  Manufacturer=X10 Wireless Technology Inc
S:  Product=USB Receiver

Ah... X10... x10.com?
Maybe the gatos driver can be modified to support your remote...

Anyway, the gatos page recommends using xmodmap, and here's mine:

keycode 166 = m
keycode 165 = 9
keycode 158 = 0
keycode 233 = Right
keycode 152 = Left
keycode 232 = q
keycode 110 = space
keycode 222 = q
keycode 146 = o

This allows me to control the volume, pause, skip forward/reverse,
control the overlay and quit.

Good luck!

/ magnus