[MPlayer-users] Advice on solving out of sync movie

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Mar 13 13:33:20 CET 2003

Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am having problems with mencoder producing movies
> with good synchronization between audio and video.
> I am running mencoder 0.90rc4-3.2 on a Red Hat Linux 8.0
> box. I have also tried mencoder CVS-021210-03:00-3.2
> with similar results.
>
> I need advice on how to proceed to solve this
> problem (even if that envolves using other tools
> besides mencoder).

I and others have had this problem too, where the video is just barely
out of sync with the audio, by less than 100ms in most cases. Somebody
posted to this list a day or two ago about using -mc 0 to correct that.
I've tried a couple samples, and found that adding -mc 0 to the encoding
command fixed the sync with my DVD that used to produce the worst sync,
and screwed up another DVD that had good sync before.

I sort of think using -mc 0 is a bad idea, but I haven't heard from any
of the gurus around here yet. Arpi, Richard, or somebody, could you
please elaborate?

In any case, for this and a couple other reasons I've started using
ogmmerge, of Moritz Bunkus' Excellent OGMtools (TM) :-) to create ogm
files out of video encoded by mencoder and ogg vorbis audio. I haven't
seen any sync problems with that process yet.
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/

Good luck,
Corey