[MPlayer-users] Advice on solving out of sync movie

Jose Romildo Malaquias romildo at uber.com.br
Thu Mar 13 00:37:21 CET 2003

Hello.

I am having problems with mencoder producing movies
with good synchronization between audio and video.
I am running mencoder 0.90rc4-3.2 on a Red Hat Linux 8.0
box. I have also tried mencoder CVS-021210-03:00-3.2
with similar results.

I need advice on how to proceed to solve this
problem (even if that envolves using other tools
besides mencoder).

I have captured a movie from TV using mencoder (on Linux):

$ mencoder -o movie0.avi \
   -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=palm:width=640:height=480:chanlist=us-cable:channel=9 \
   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=0:vbitrate=5000 \
   -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
   -vop pp=tn

The resulting avi file is about 8 Gb in size.

Then with VirtualDub (on Windows) I have deleted the comercials
from the avi file, and saved to a new file: movie.avi

Now I want to process this avi file to deinterlace the movie and
reduce its size to fit in a 800 Gb CD. So I have processed it with
mencode (3 passes processing):

Pass 1:
$ mencoder movie.avi -ovc frameno -oac copy -o frameno.avi

Pass 2:
$ mencoder movie.avi \
   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=875:vhq:vpass=1 \
   -vop pp=lb \
   -oac copy \
   -o um-sonho-distante.avi

Pass 3:
$ mencoder movie.avi \
   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=875:vhq:vpass=2 \
   -vop pp=lb \
   -oac copy \
   -o um-sonho-distante.avi

The final avi file um-sonho-distante.avi is out of sync between
audio and video, in all players I have tried (mplayer, xine,
VirtualDub, aviplay, ...).

I am clueless on how to solve this problem and achieve my objective.
Any help?

Romildo
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias        romildo at uber.com.br
Departamento de Computação       malaquias at iceb.ufop.br