[MPlayer-users] mencode and Archos Jukebox.

Wes Armour wes.armour at physics.org
Wed Mar 12 15:58:22 CET 2003

Hi,

I am hoping that some kind person can help me.
I have a archos multimedia jukebox that cam play MPEG4 videos.
I can encode this in windows using virtualdub and an frontend provided by
archos. But I don't use windows and had to install it on an old machine. I
would prefere to encode my videos under linux.
Archos say that the JBMM can support a proporly encoded XviD, DivX file i.e. a
MPEG4, MPG3 file and a size less than 352x288 at 25fps. I also believe that it
must be encoded using 1-pass. From the man mencoder page I used the
following:

mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=128 -ovc divx4 -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -vop scale=352x288 in.avi -o out.avi

My jukebox can play the sound from the out.avi file, but there is no video.

I have the following codecs:
MEncoder 0.90rc4-RPM-3.1 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping:
10)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Reading /home/wes/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/home/wes/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 135 video codecs
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Reading config file /home/wes/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory

Available codecs:
   copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding. doesn't work with filters!
   frameno  - special audio-only file for 3-pass encoding, see DOCS!
   rawrgb   - uncompressed RGB 24bpp video
   lavc     - using libavcodec codecs - best quality!
   vfw      - using VfW DLLs, currently only AVID is supported
   qtvideo  - using QuickTime DLLs, currently only SVQ1/3 are supported

I use redhat 7.3.

Thanks in advance,

Wes.