[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer -identify with ogm files

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Jun 29 20:32:26 CEST 2003

Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Nope, a shortcoming of the Ogm file format (or the mplayer demuxer -
> depends on the point of view). You'd have to seek to the very last page,
> get it's timestamp, and then you'd have the duration (probably! The Ogg
> specs allow concatenating Ogg files with a simple "cat 1.ogg 2.ogg >
> 3.ogg", so the last timestamp might not belong to the first file...),
> but this is not implemented.

I've wondered about that myself. Actually, it seems that several of the
MPlayer demuxers don't return correct values. I've often played a DVD
and seen the OSD show something like "0:10:30/0:05:0". Is the issue with
OGGs that they don't have global indexes like AVIs or MKVs and no
absolute timestamps like MPEGs? Could such a thing be added while being
backward and forward compatible?

By the way, did you see my message about -mc and variable framerate OGMs?

Jonathan Rogers