[MPlayer-users] Re: annoying error-message

Michael Loose m.loose at arcor.de
Fri Jun 27 13:13:54 CEST 2003

Nada. "windooze-like" is the style of providing large amounts
of letters (without being asked) containing almost no information about
the actual problem
and providing solutions for problems that might have occured (but
ususally it's not the case) in a way that makes it hard to ignore
the nasty bull (i.e., locking up the GUI till you prompt the message)
.

And (of course.. :-) ) no simple way to turn of the bull if you just
don't want to see it anymore.

Just to point it out :

1. I do not complain about errors (i was fine with mplayer till the
error-window showed up)

2. I do not complain about that the error message is wrong and therefore
the solutions would't work (no error, no solution)

3. I do complain about the dictatorship of this message.

And... to be honest : On a more abstract level the "Windowism" consists
in the evident, but unspoken conscience of the unusability  of a piece
of software
(MPlayer is an excellent piece of software, no doubt. Compiled it on a
G4 running YDL yesterday and i like it's output and style more
than e.g. Apple's DVD-Player), so there is a need to permanently explain
to the user what *could* go wrong right now to prevent him/her from
getting fed up and use a different app - with the effect that
the user get's totally fed up with the applications default behaviour
(think of MS-Office..).

>From my view the thing with mplayer is : It's the best mediaplayer i
know so far - but at the same time in some belongs it's pretty unusuable
for less advanced users,
and lacks of integration into the Desktop/GUI, just compared to e.g.
VLC-client. I know many OSX-Users who'd love it, but keep on using VLC
because of "double-click, see the icon, feel fine".