[MPlayer-users] Positioning subtitles

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Jun 27 10:21:24 CEST 2003

Re,

This a quite frequently question imho :) MPlayer does not know too much about
the black bands, because they're _NOT_ part of the movie! Maybe eg you play
a film with aspect ratio of 16:9 on a 4:3 monitor/TV. Of course you will have
got black bands but this is NOT the content of the movie so OF COURSE you
can't place a subtitle for that easily, at least not with -subpos or other
options. BUT do not worry, there IS solution ;-) You should ask MPlayer
to expand the image content, so mplayer can handle the bands well. This can
be done with 'expand' video filter and it's well documented in the man page.
Just view the man page, and search for word 'expand' and you'll see.
Hope it helps.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:13:00AM -0700, Alex Somesan wrote:
> Mind my stupidity if so is the case, but how can one
> place the subtitles of a divx,etc. movie on the black
> stripe beneath the actual movie -a la MicroDVD or
> MV2Player- (provided it has a different aspect ratio
> than the screen). I have tried several different
> combinations of -subalign and -subpos parameters. Is
> it at all possible with mplayer? Is there a problem
> with my build?
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> Alex

- Gábor (larta'H)