[MPlayer-users] Subtitle line spacing

Karl Ewald karl.ewald at ixos.de
Thu Jun 26 05:49:04 CEST 2003

Hi,

I recently built a new mplayer version (current freebsd port
mplayer-0.90.0.110_2, FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE, x11 output) and experimented
with creating subtitles.

I found that when looking at a subtitled video using mplayer and merging a
mpsub file, the subtitles are rendered using the fixed size font configured
with make user-config (14pt). However when I use mencoder to produce a avi
file with subtitles included in the picture, it uses the freetype generated
font.

I want the encoded video to look the same as the preview, since I use the
preview to tune the output right. Repeatedly encoding and watching would
very much prolonge the time taken for subtitling. Also I find the wide
linespacing ugly, it makes the subtitle text go too far into the picture.
I got the font size to be the same with the -subfont-autoscale 0
-subfont-text-scale 14 parameters.
However the line spacing in multiline subtitles is much larger than in the
preview.

The difference would probably go away if I compiled without freetype again,
however, I'd like to keep freetype since if gives me more flexibility in the
future.

I read the manual but didn't find any statement on line spacing and whether
it can be influenced.

If no solution is already available, pointers where to fiddle with the
source are also welcome, knowing which file and function to look at would
certainly help me get started.

Many thanks,

Karl Ewald