[MPlayer-users] VESA stopped working with Radeon.

Alex Sisson alex_sisson at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 21:34:51 CEST 2003

 --- TJ <tianjy at jippii.fi> wrote: > [Automatic answer:
RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > I and others on this list have had the same
> problem - VESA mode not
> > working with newer Linux distros.  (Redhat 8 in my
> case.)  I believe the
> > culprit is newer versions of glibc.  Several
> months back, someone traced
> > the cause of the problem to some of the code used
> in mplayer using an
> > older function call that's no longer supported in
> newer versions of
> > glibc.  I don't know enought about programming to
> be able to provide
> > much more meaningful detail.
>
> I've now tried to study this a bit more. It seems
> that the reason is not
> the use of an older function call (vm86old) instead
> of a new one (vm86).
> I tried changing mplayer-sources (or lrmi) to use
> the new call (via
> assembler), but nothing really changed.

ive picked this conversation up halfway through and i
assume this is the -vo vesa crash...ive been having a
look at this problem last few days to.

with the latest main cvs, ive tracked it down to line
740 of osdep/lrmi.c - this chunk

#else
        asm volatile (
         "int $0x80"
         : "0" (113), "b" (vm));
#endif

if comment it out i get a vesa failed error rather
than a segfault )

i dont really understand that asm, so dont know how to
fix it though :-(

Alex Sisson