[MPlayer-users] Re: Invisible subtitles on SOME dvd's

Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh sumant.oemrawsingh at wolmail.nl
Sat Jun 21 13:10:53 CEST 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12:23AM +0200, Martin Kaletsch wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2003 06:28, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
>
> > Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh wrote:
> > > On certain dvd's (like region 2 Magnificent Warriors and other hong kong
> > > legend dvds) the subtitles are completely invisible. I use the correct
> > > -slang option, also tried the correct -sid option, -spuaa, -spualign etc.
> >
> > Have you tried it with other software players like Xine or Ogle? That
> > could at least tell you whether this is MPlayer specific or not.
>
> I had this problem in the past, too! I usualy managed to view the movie with
> subtitles with recent versions of vlc. From ripping this dvds with
> trancode/dvd::rip I got the impression that the pallette infomration in the
> ifo files was screwed up. (But I don't have the faintest idea how a correct
> ifo file looks like, so this is just a guess!)

Yes, I thought that might be it, specially because transcode lets you fool
around with palette info of the subtitles, whereas mplayer doesn't (and up
until these dvd's I have, both hong kong legends, mplayer has always
displayed the subs correctly).

> If there is interest, I could try to find out which dvds had the problem and
> make the ifos available.

Well, I have dvd's with `good' ifo's and the ones with `bad' ifo's, but I
don't have any time to look into it...

> ... I just don't have the faintest idea which dvd(s) it was or if it may play
> correct with recent mplayer now...

Anyway, as suggested as well, I'll try one of the other players later today,
and see if that works. The point of this was, actually to allow me to make a
copy of my dvd's (with subtitles in the black bars) using mencoder. IMHO
transcode is too slow and doesn't look as good.

S.

--
Sumant S. R. Oemrawsingh
Sumant.Oemrawsingh at WolMail.NL