[MPlayer-users] second pass of mpeg4 with mencoder looks worse than first pass...what version works??

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Jun 20 06:50:27 CEST 2003

Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> does anyone know of any version of mencoder that works with 2 pass
> mpeg4/lavc encoding? preferable a newer version than an older version,
> but either way. i know i could jsut use XviD but i would prefer not to.
>
> thanks,
>
> farrell f.

0.90 and main cvs work fine for me, and produce excellent results. What
is the exact command(s) you're using?

Also, what are the file sizes for the outputs of each pass? Are they
similar? If not, which file more closely matches what it should be based
on your chosen vbitrate? (or just look at the last few lines of
mencoder's output - that'll tell you the average bitrates for audio and
video).

-Corey