[MPlayer-users] second pass of mpeg4 with mencoder looks worse than first pass...what version works??

Farrell Farahbod upgrdman at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 20 05:08:07 CEST 2003

i have compressed dvds with mencoder for a very long time now...and have
used mplayer since 0.50. but recently when i do my regular 2 pass mpeg4
encoding, with libavcodec, the second pass looks VERY visibly worse.
like night and day. this has happened before, but usually trying out the
cvs, or reverting to one of the older versions worked for me. but
recently i have tried many versions...cvs current, some cvs snaps,
several of the 0.90pre's and 0.90rc's. none have worked...one of the
three following happens:

same problem as above--second pass looks worse...

mencoder seg-fualts after about 100 frames of the first pass...

or make fails about something with libmpdemux or something like that
(sorry, forgot to write down the errors)

so im stumped. i even tried 0.60!!

does anyone know of any version of mencoder that works with 2 pass
mpeg4/lavc encoding? preferable a newer version than an older version,
but either way. i know i could jsut use XviD but i would prefer not to.

thanks,

farrell f.