[MPlayer-users] Mplayer on Mandrake

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Jun 15 10:28:43 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:07:31AM +0200, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2003, gabucino at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> > Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Never ever advise a newbie to use --nodeps.
> > Just for the record, when I was a newbie, and had RedHat, I always used
> > --nodeps --force for rpm, so it would stop the damned whining.
>
> Then either you broke your system or you weren't a newbie. I've seen many
> cases of newbies coming back whining that their system broke after being
> advised to use --nodeps on some usenet newsgroups.
>
> > Not everybody wants to be controlled by a computer.
>
> You weren't controlled by a machine, only by packager's whims. A machine
> cannot control you. It only does what it's told to do.

Yes, there's the issue of who tells it what to do. That should be you,
the user, but in case of code execution vulnerabilities, proprietary
software and operating systems, and junky distributions, it's often
the case that the computer is not only doing what someone else tells
it to do, rather than what you tell it to do, but in fact also doing
something antithetical to your own interests.

Rich