[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder /mplayer bugs

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Thu Jun 12 08:07:42 CEST 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 00:34, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> Fabio Papa wrote:
> > Sorry if this is unrelated, but isn't transcode a hell of a lot slower
> > compared to mencoder? I ask this because I already tryed it out and was
> > huge slow, but I never compiled it myself, I only used a binary version.
> > Are there some tricks/advantages in compiling myself?
> > Thanks!
>
> No, in my experience it is not "a hell of a lot slower." I haven't done
> any careful experiments, but nothing I've seen suggests it differs by
> more than about a frame per second, if any. Remember that most of the
> time spent transcoding is in the encoder. If you use the same encoder
> with the same options and same video input to both mencoder and
> transcode, it'll go at about the same speed. Of course, some significant
> time is spent in the decoder, but mencoder and transcode may be using
> the same decoders for DVD input anyway. They probably are using
> different resizers, so there may be a difference in efficiency there,
> but that may not be very significant compared to encoding time,
> depending on encoder options.

Yeah, you're right, my bad. I got a look to my scripts I was using with
transcode and I was forgotting I was trying to produce MPEG2 files at that
time. Which, of course, involved mpeg2enc which _is_ slow as hell! Anyway,
apart from the approx. seek, there is no difference encoding with either of
the two, so I'll stick with mencoder for now. Thanks!