[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder /mplayer bugs

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Jun 12 00:34:57 CEST 2003

Fabio Papa wrote:
> Sorry if this is unrelated, but isn't transcode a hell of a lot slower
> compared to mencoder? I ask this because I already tryed it out and was huge
> slow, but I never compiled it myself, I only used a binary version. Are there
> some tricks/advantages in compiling myself?
> Thanks!

No, in my experience it is not "a hell of a lot slower." I haven't done
any careful experiments, but nothing I've seen suggests it differs by
more than about a frame per second, if any. Remember that most of the
time spent transcoding is in the encoder. If you use the same encoder
with the same options and same video input to both mencoder and
transcode, it'll go at about the same speed. Of course, some significant
time is spent in the decoder, but mencoder and transcode may be using
the same decoders for DVD input anyway. They probably are using
different resizers, so there may be a difference in efficiency there,
but that may not be very significant compared to encoding time,
depending on encoder options.

Jonathan Rogers