[MPlayer-users] More on encoding quality - using Vorbis

Paulo Dias pcd at ieg.com.br
Tue Jun 10 09:01:10 CEST 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 21:57, joe user wrote:

> --- Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> I think the problem is that I am using RH 9, which
> doesn't come with any MP3 support.  Do I need to grab
> some other libs to get -oac mp3lame to work?

In theory you only need liblame and recompile mplayer... don`t forget to check
if mplayer found the liblame...

> Btw, I assume that an AVI, encoded with MPEG4 video
> and MP3 audio is basically what an SVCD is?

actually no, svcd is a mpeg2 video not mpeg4, mpeg4 aka (divx,xvid,ffmpeg
libavcodec) is much more powerfull and is able to give you high quality video
at very low bitrates and because of that (and compression techniques) much
more minutes per MB, actually a cd with mpeg4 is a DVD on steroids:)

best regards...